Saturday, December 24, 2011

So Over Budget... *sigh*


A box full of wasted money.

Each year I set aside a particular amount of money so that on Black Friday I can get myself something nice.  It's usually an electronic item along with the corresponding peripherals, or sometimes it's a few craft type machines along with extra accessories.  Whatever it is, I always say, "This is how much you have to spend and that's it."  I've never gone over my budget... until now.

When I started collecting 1/6th scale dolls this year it was really slow at first and then about 6 months into it, I thought, "Hmm, I'm buying something almost every week.  Maybe I'd better use my annual Me-Me-Me Fund on this hobby and not get any big ticket item for Black Friday."  I made that decision, however, I failed to track it.  I mean, it was $10 here or $1-5 there and okay, one time it was $35 at that store, or $21 over at that other place.  And, except for 4 or 5 pieces, I bought most things on sale.  It just didn't seem like so much money or so much stuff.  That is, until today when I copied all my camera photos to disc. [For insurance purposes I take a photo of every non perishable item I buy.]

In 11 months I purchased 41 dolls, 78 accessories and 84 craft items.  AND of the 41 dolls I got only 22 were for display, the rest were just for re-bodying or their clothes.  AND I bought all the craft items so I could save money by making my own accessories and I didn't!  I just got all the craft stuff and put it away to use for "later."  Oh, it's later now, dummy, it's later now! 

For this "hobby," I bought 203 individual items and went $227 over my annual budget.  You know what?  It's not a hobby, it's a freakin' lifestyle.  I guess it's because I'm fairly neat, and I have this policy of "a place for everything and everything in its place," so I didn't notice I was accumulating or spending so much.  I use bead boxes, craft boxes, storage boxes and an accessory cart to contain all the bits and pieces.  Perhaps if I was messy I would have paid more attention.

The upshot is, the craft portion of this collection is about to come into play.  All that paint, wood, clay, yarn, etc. had better start to get used or I'm putting myself in time out.  You better make at least three things or finish a large scale project with the materials you've already purchased before you buy another single thing.

I'm keeping my eye on you!

7 comments:

  1. Happy Holidays!

    This is my life story right now exactly! I have a new rule for 2012. If a new doll come in, one has to go even if for donation, etc. I spent/bought more dolls this year than I have in a long while. I am too ashamed to even think about calculating what I have spent...I bow my head in shame.

    Vickey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from Spain: if I also serve as east consolation year to you I spent much money in Barbies, body and complements. I prefer not to add all the cost… but is very high. We follow in contact of blog blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Georgia Girl and Marta, I think we just got carried away this year. At least that's all I think it is. If I start getting withdrawal symptoms and the shakes because I'm not buying anything, then I'll know I have a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow do I know that feeling! I wont even show my boxes of parts, heads etc LOL. It is truly disturbing LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. *LOL* Chynadoll, I always feel a little bit guilty when I add another head or body to that box. Good thing it has a lid on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I counted last night and I had 120 whole barbies (and countless bodies--i buy any thrift store articulated barbies I find). I chose several of them to sell, and have resolved to use the one in/one out rule...but we'll see how long that lasts:/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss Lola I am determined to do more making and less buying this year... yes, we'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete