Monday, March 19, 2012

Windows Are Done

They don't look like much, but they sure were difficult.  Spatial thinking is not my strong suit so it took me a bit to figure out how to put these together.  At first I was going to use 2 pieces of cardboard and just put a larger rectangle onto a narrower one.  Simple, yes?  But then I had to get all fancy pants and decided I wanted wood windows with mitered joints.  These don't actually match the ad I'm working on but they are what I want in my hangout so they won out.


To put these together I used a Easy Cutter and wood glue.  The cutters are at Michaels and Joanns.  With a 50% off coupon mine came to $12.50. ^_^  They cut through small pieces of wood like butter and I highly recommend them.  The wood is regular size craft (popsicle) sticks.  I only had the jumbo kind so I had to break my "no new craft items" rule and spend $2.47 on a pack of 150 at Walmart.  Considering how many sticks I wasted and how many are warped or misshapen, I might get 10 finished windows.


My little ledge is so freakin' adorable!  The window panes are cut from the Fairy Barbie box.  It had little stars and butterflies embossed in the plastic.  Although I used black tape to outline the panels I may remove that in the end.  Depends on the overall look of the dio.


In concession to the ad I did paint them white.  I should have gessoed them first.  I only have cheap poster paint and even though I applied 6 coats, it's still not as white as I would have liked.  I cut openings into a file folder to see how they might look up against a wall.  For my hangout I'll probably leave them natural... because I'm out of white paint, lol.


Another thing I wish I had done was check the sticks for warps before I started.  I usually make two of something at the same time so that way I'll already have a nice set if it works out. These were my first attempts and I will be using them regardless, but still, they are very wonky.  Oh well, now I know how to do them better. 


Pretty darn cute if I do say so myself.

14 comments:

  1. Wow! Love the windows and the stars on the glass give them a really sweet look! They would have cost you $20 each in the store, so you are still ahead of the game!

    I love your new tool! I will have to get one of those!

    You are really profecting some skills that will translate into other projects! I'm glad you are taking us along with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can buy these pre made in 1/6 scale? LOL, I had no idea. But if that's how much they cost I never would have bought them anyway. The Easy Cutter is pretty great for working in small scale. It cuts thick paper and plastics too!

      Delete
  2. Hello from Spain: A very interesting entry. The windows you were super good. Seem real. I find it hard to fit me so well as yourself. I'll try. Thanks for sharing your work. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marta. I looked at photos of real windows on the internet and picked one that seemed simple to duplicate in miniture. I think that helps them look a little bit real from the front.

      Delete
  3. They are perfect, and you're totally right... SO CUTE!!! Getting ideas for my dollie house, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're making a house, Rossetti?! If so, cant wait to see it. You do such great photo shoots I bet if you designed a house setting it would be perfect.

      Delete
  4. Those windows are spectacular! Ok! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting on the completion of this dio! Come on Hey it's Muff! Get er done already LOL
    They are pretty darn cute to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Chynadoll. I'm pushing right along onto the next part. With all this build up I feel like once I'm done I'm going to be like, "Oh... is that it?"

      Delete
  5. Cute Cute Cute!Must run off to Micheals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Verona! Don't forget to take a coupon with you!

      Delete
  6. Great job on the windows. I have that tool in my box of goodies. It hasn't been used in years. LOL! Love the stars! Very creative. I'm with Chynadoll. Make it happen, captain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa. I bought the cutter almost 7 months ago and it's my first time putting it to the test. I actually like it better than my dremmel. No dust and no noise.

      Delete